Steak & Caper Stroganoff
What makes a stroganoff so good? Is it the beef? The mushrooms? The cream sauce?
Robust leafy greens like spinach or spring greens hold their own with this creamy mushroom sauce. Although stroganoff is typically served with noodles, this mouthwatering meal can be substituted with low-carb alternatives such as whole grain rice, roasted sweet potatoes or butternut squash noodles. A robust meal that is a great addition to your Keto-friendly weight loss, especially when taken with Saba Ace™, Saba Control™, and Saba Shape™.
Did you know… There’s a reason Popeye always ate his spinach. Spinach is rich in vitamins A, C and K, magnesium, iron and manganese. Eating this leafy green veggie may benefit eye health, reduce oxidative stress and reduce blood pressure levels among other health functions. Whether you like it or not, spinach is surely one veggie that you must include in your daily diet.
Makes: 4 Portions
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
• 1 tbsp light olive oil
• 2 AAA sirloin steaks (total weight 600g / 1.3lbs)
• 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
• 1 large onion, sliced
• 5 garlic cloves, crushed
• 250ml good-quality beef stock
• 160g half-fat Crème fraîche
• 200g mixed leafy greens, sliced (spinach or spring greens work well)
• 1 ½ - 2 tbsp capers in brine, drained
• Large handful fresh chopped herbs (we used parsley and dill)
1) Heat a little of the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Sear the steaks for 1 min on each side (or for longer if you like your meat cooked more), then set aside. Add the rest of the oil to the frying pan and fry the mushrooms until golden, then set aside with the steaks.
2) Turn the heat down slightly, add the onion, then cook for 5 mins until lightly browned. Stir in the garlic, cook for 1 min, then pour in the stock. Stir again, then bring to the
boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any stuck-on flavor.
3) Stir in the Crème fraîche sliced greens and the capers, then cook for 1 min. Slice the steaks, remove any fat/sinew, then add to the pan with any resting juices. Season to taste and cook for 2 mins more to heat the meat through. Sprinkle over the fresh herbs and serve with hot whole grain rice or potatoes, for a Keto-friendly option use quinoa, roasted sweet potatoes or butternut squash noodles.
Source: The Essential Guide To… Seasonal September 2020 30