Healthy Ways to Boost and Strengthen Your Immune System
The immune system is our body's first line of defense against invaders. Keeping your immune system in balance is crucial for maintaining optimal health. Our immune system is very complex and should be taken care of by living a healthy lifestyle.
Every part of our body, including our immune system, works better with a healthy lifestyle. Adding the following to your diet is the best step you can take towards naturally keeping your immune system strong and healthy.
Photo Credit: Ivan Pantic - istock.com
Photo Credit: bit245 - istock.com
• Citrus fruit and red bell peppers (both rich in vitamin C, which in some studies has been shown to support your immune system)
• Spices like ginger, garlic, turmeric, and capsaicin (from chili peppers) can be easily added to soups, stews, stir-frys, or salad dressings.
• Foods that are rich in zinc such as oysters, clams, mussels, cashews, liver, beef, and egg yolks. You may recognize zinc as an ingredient in the cold remedy Zicam, as zinc has some virus-fighting effects.
• Magnesium-rich foods may help you to feel calmer, and help support immunity.
Examples of magnesium-rich foods are legumes, nuts, seeds, leafy greens, and whole grains.
• Fatty fish like wild Alaskan salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids. A study on medical students in 2011 was one of the first to show that omega-3s may help reduce anxiety.
Probiotic-rich foods such as pickles, sauerkraut, miso, and kefir.
Photo Credit: egal - istock.com
• Add some antioxidants to your diet which can support your immune system.
• You should also practice breath focus to helps you concentrate on slow, deep breathing, and aids you in disengaging from distracting thoughts, sensations, and stress. It's especially helpful if you tend to hold it in your stomach.
With the way most Americans eat today, there is a troublesome gap between the nutrients we need and those we actually consume. In fact, most diets today are lacking in many essential vitamins and minerals. A diet rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and low in red meat and processed foods, should be the goal. However, it can be challenging to keep this up every day. Daily nutritional supplementation of Saba Spark of Life™ and Saba Pomegranate Plus™ will help fill your nutritional gaps to enjoy optimal health.
 Office of Dietary Supplements - Vitamin D. (n.d.). Retrieved November 17, 2020, from https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-Consumer/